Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fleur Philips - Crumble - A Review


about the book:
Eighteen-year-old Sarah McKnight has a secret. She's in love with David Brooks. Sarah is white. David is black. But Sarah's not the only one keeping secrets in the close-knit community of Kalispell, Montana. Her father George, who owns a local gun shop and proudly drives a truck with a Confederate flag bumper sticker, hides his own complicated past. When he discovers Sarah's relationship, George decides to share his feelings with Alex Mackey-a lonely classmate of Sarah's whom George has taken under his wing. As Alex embraces the power of George's dark hatred, the hopes and dreams of young lives hang in the balance. In just a few short months, Sarah and David will graduate from high school and leave Kalispell for a new life together in Los Angeles. Maybe in California, they can stop hiding their love-and the other secret they share...something George McKnight-and Alex Mackey-will never accept.

the review:
This book was a hard hitting story, that touched on almost every controversial subject you can think of, and Fleur does it in such a way that it wasn’t obvious, she told you without shoving it down your throat. I loved the book, and was drawn in by the story line, and became invested with the characters. Each page packed it’s own punch, though I won’t tell what kind, I guess you’ll just have to read it *wink* As a teen I felt like a lot of these issues were very valid in society today. This book had a very sound premise, and stuck with it. I’ll admit that a few times during it I was thrown through some loops at what happened, I was very invested in the story of the book and was felt with the empty feeling when I finished it, you know that feeling when you finish a good book and you’re not really sure what to do with yourself? Well that is the feeling I was left with when I closed Crumble. Fleur really wrote an awesome book, that I recommend to any teen reader who is looking for a book to shake up their world.

and a video that I thought went pretty good with the book








Fleur Philips holds a Master's Degree in Fine Arts from Antioch University, Los Angeles, and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Montana. She also attended the University of Oregon in Eugene where she was awarded placement in the Kidd Tutorial Creative Writing Program. Her debut novel, I AM LUCKY BIRD, was a fiction finalist for the 2011 Book of the Year Award from ForeWord Reviews. She lives in Upland, California with her son and their Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix named Rocky.




Wisdom of the Bookworms, You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves!~The Doctor 

 Micheyla © 2013 Micheyla Bartotto, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be used without the express permission of the author. DISCLOSURE STATEMENT -- All books reviewed on this site have been received via purchase, lending, or given to me by an author or publisher. No reviews are purchased.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Micheyla! I'm glad you enjoyed the book and that it left you feeling the way it did. My hope is to have that feeling make young people want to initiate change! Many thanks again for reading and reviewing CRUMBLE!

    ReplyDelete

Confess thy Wisdom with me...