Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Interview with an Author: Juan Gutierrez

Welcome fellow bookworms, today I have a guest visiting... 
We sat down and had a little chat about his book The Rise of Bob McDoogal

Mr. Gutierezz what made you decide to be an author?
I've been writing since I was little. Making stories up has always been something I love and I finally decided to introduce my 'devil-may-care' writing style to the literary world. I'm tired of reading the same old, 'bad guys loose, the world goes on, they live happily ever after...' kind of stories. I gave readers a more realistic anti-superhero, a story with not such a happy ending and a story where the world is not saved. 
Who is your favorite author? J.K. Rowling 
Your favorite childhood book? Ironically, I hated reading as a child. I still do, it takes a great story to shut my mind off so I can read. 
Do you consider anyone a writing mentor? Not really, kinda self-taught. 
What genre would you classify your book as? Sci-fi mostly. A little romance, a lot of action. 
What age reader do you hope the book appeals to? Between 20 and 30’s. 
You live with Cerebral Palsy, your lead character is afflicted by it also, why did you choose not to spend more time educating through fiction about the life you are dealing with? 
I didn’t want to have the ‘poor me’ aspect in the book, if that makes sense. 
Profanity and Sex are highly prevalent in your story, as Bob is a teenager, do you think this is an accurate portrayal of the typical teen? 
 I think so. Eighteen year old, anyway. Bob is modeled exactly as me. The way he thinks, feels, reacts to situations, high sex drive, eff it attitude, it’s all real. 
The story is packed, like a hoarder's closet with content, why did you choose to jam so many things into one story? 
 I wrote it this way as to keep the reader reading. I lose interest very fast if there is not too much going on in a story. 
In packing the story with so much, you tended to rush through what, as a reader, I felt were key plot points, and spent too much time on excessive smut, in my opinion. Why not explore the more crucial plot areas like the experiments, the mutations, and the arrival of the reptilian race? 
First off, I don’t think its excessive smut. Secondly, I didn’t want to spend too much time on the pre-space plot devices, since they really didn’t matter too much. 
Did you ever think that what you were writing might be better adapted into a graphic novel series? Yes, actually. I have had a lot of people tell me that due to the action-packedness of the book. (Yes, I did just make up my own word.) 
The basic theme I think is seeing your fantasies come alive; do you feel that this was a fulfillment of that for you? For your character? 
Definitely. Now if I could only get my hands on some type 2…. 
So much happened in Book One, what is possibly left to make Book Two appealing to the reader? 
Well, I don’t want to give anything away, but I do introduce the Griger, and we also find out someone else escaped Earth before its destruction.

Thank you Mr. Gutierrez for dropping by and answering all of my questions, best of luck with the next book in the series. 


Book One: The Rise of Bob McDoogal is science fiction at heart, but is also filled with romance, suspence, dark humor, and much more! It is a fast-paced action novella guaranteed to be a "guilty-pleasure" read. Be prepared to laugh, cry, and find yourself thinking 'damn, did he really just say that?'


The Author:
Juan Gutierrez is a 27 year old living in Dallas, Texas. He grew up in Torrance, California. He is a Fantasy/Science Fiction writer. Inspired both Star Wars and Star Trek, he is determined to make a Galaxy Cluster all of his own. In 2012, he began his work on the character Bob McDoogal. Think The Mask with Jim Carrey (another major influence), mixed with Star Wars. That is the best way to describe his Dark humor Science Fiction Fantasy writing. He is currently working on book two of the series, aiming to have it done by the close of 2013.

a book is a journey into another world
Wisdom of the Bookworms, Micheyla 

 © 2013 Micheyla Bartotto, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be used without the express permission of the author.

 DISCLOSURE STATEMENT -- All books reviewed on this site have been received via purchase, lending, or given to me by an author or publisher. No reviews are purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Confess thy Wisdom with me...