Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Kings Dragon review

And book review time, what? don't look at me like that, the Doctor did say there would be book reviews...anyway it's about him...though he probably shouldn't read it seeing which regen he's in. 
anyway this book stars two of my fave companions of all time Amy and Rory. Now then on to the review of Una McCormack's The King's Dragon.



‘They called it Enamour. It turned minds, sold merchandise, and swayed elections. And it did its job far too well...’ In the city-state of Geath, the King lives in a golden hall, and the people want for nothing. Everyone is happy and everyone is rich. Or so it seems. When the Doctor, Amy and Rory look beneath the surface, they discover a city of secrets. In dark corners, strange creatures are stirring. At the heart of the hall, a great metal dragon oozes gold. Then the Herald appears, demanding the return of her treasure... And next come the gunships. The battle for possession of the treasure has begun, and only the Doctor and his friends can save the people of the city from being destroyed in the crossfire of an ancient civil war. But will the King surrender his new-found wealth? Or will he fight to keep it...?


This book follows Amy Rory and the Doctor into a world encased in gold. It was wonderful rendition of the eleventh Doctor and his companions that had me laughing along with Pond and worrying along with Rory. And going through the crazy antics right along with the Doctor. This story takes you through all the usual waves off an adventure with the Doctor from being locked up to threats of exile “Hey nothing wrong with a spot of exile. Not a bad way of life” the doctor said. “save the odd star whale” Said Amy “fight the odd vampire” said Rory. The Doctor turned on them “technically speaking they weren’t vampires….. Do I look like Buffy?” Things like this are what have you laughing like there’s no tomorrow and I can say that this book made me want to do this many times. I would recommend this book to any Whovian that also enjoys reading a good fast paced book.




I’m a science fiction writer, particularly of tie-in novels based on Doctor Who and Star Trek. I’m also lecturer in creative writing at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge. I used to be a sociologist, but I’m all right now. I wrote fiction as a child but exam preparation and essay writing meant I had pretty much given up by my teens. My magnum opus in this period (written when I was an 11-year-old schoolgirl) was an epic scribbled into a school exercise book, about an apocalyptic battle between Good and Evil, in which Good (yes, Good) is ably assisted by an 11-year-old schoolgirl. Looking back, I detect the unmistakeable influence of Susan Cooper‘s Dark is Rising sequence, and the Guardian Trilogy of stories during Davison-era Doctor Who. In my mid-twenties I began producing fanfiction based on budget 1970s BBC space opera Blake’s 7. In the late 90s, a friend handed me his Star Trek: Deep Space Nine videos, ignoring my shrieks that “I didn’t like Star Trek” and insisting, “You’ll like this.” How right he was. I devoured the show in a matter of weeks, started churning out fanfiction at a great pace, publishing on the new-fangled InterWebs that were so popular at the time. This turned out to be a good move: someone recommended my writing to the editor of the Star Trek range at Pocket Books, and he emailed to ask if I’d like to pitch some stories. One benefit of email is that you have time to compose a measured reply, rather than yelp, “Oh god yes!” down the phone at someone you’re eager to impress. Since then, I’ve written three Star Trek: Deep Space Nine novels, two Doctor Who novels, and numerous short stories. My short story, “Sea Change”, was selected to appear in Gardner Dozois’ Year’s Best Science Fiction anthology in 2008. (Several other of my short stories have received honourable mentions in those anthologies.) My current projects include a space opera about girls with guns, and a pseudo-historical political thriller set in a counterfactual post-Roman Britain. I spend most of my free time reading and watching TV. I love the writing of Ursula Le Guin, JRR Tolkien, TS Eliot, Rosemary Sutcliff, Emma Goldman, Lois McMaster Bujold, Sylvia Engdahl, Lucy M. Boston, and Tove Jansson. Current favourite TV shows include new Doctor Who (which I’m convinced has been written just for me), and Grange Hill (the early years). I travel through life in a rackety space-time house in Cambridge, England, with my companion of many years, Matthew. We have no cats and several Daleks.

When you run with the Doctor, it feels like it'll never end, but however hard you try you can't run forever. Everybody knows that everybody dies and nobody knows it like the Doctor, but I do think that all the skies of all the worlds might just turn dark if he ever, for one moment, accepts it. Everybody knows that everybody dies, but not every day. Not today. Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.~River Song

Wisdom of the Bookworms, 





© 2013 Micheyla Bartotto, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be used without the express permission of the author. DISCLOSURE STATEMENT -- All books reviewed on this site have been received via purchase, lending, or given to me by an author or publisher. No reviews are purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Confess thy Wisdom with me...